Have you been eating your flowers? There's a special joy that only comes after popping a beautiful bloom into your mouth and discovering that the flavor is just as exquisite as it's colorful beauty. If you've never tried them, never fear! After last week's love for my squash blossom Instagram post, I decided to induct as many of you as would like to join me to the joys of being a "floravore" with this simple recipe.
Full Disclosure: I'm a "winger" when it comes to the kitchen, so those of you who insist on precise measurements may want to google a well reviewed recipe, but if you decide to stick with me, I promise you'll be well rewarded. You see, squash blossoms are one of the most exquisite yet simple seasonal delicacies to be enjoyed and I firmly believe that preparing them should not be a fussy affair. Pour yourself a glass of wine and prepare to get a little messy!
Baked Squash Blossom Fritters
1. Preheat your oven to 350f - use the convection setting.
2. Gently rinse all squash blossoms and pat dry. Set on a towel to finish drying while you prepare the breading and egg.
3. In a shallow cereal bowl, mix up about 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs, seasonings, and salt to taste. My favorite blend is plain breadcrumbs (you can also sub flour), garlic powder, onion powder, and dried mint.
4. In a second shallow cereal bowl, beat 2 room temperature eggs.
5. One by one, dip each squash blossom into the egg and then into the breading, turning to make sure all sides are covered.
6. Lay the dipped and breaded blossoms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. They should look something like this:
7. Bake at 350 on convection setting until crispy and lightly browned. Let cool and enjoy still warm or at room temp.
What's your favorite flower recipe?
Tenacity The Goat has an exciting announcement: Three of our most popular soaps can now be found at your local Targe...
Eileen, our Co-Founder, featured by designer Elizabeth Suzann
Almost 5 years ago now, I left my career in fashion design to start a sustainable farm with James. My reasons for lea...
Our Natural Deodorant Is Here! Here's Everything You Need To Know To Make The Switch From Conventional To Natural Deo.
Give yourself a huge pat on the back! You've decided to make the switch to natural deodorant - your body and the envi...